Take an active role in your care
While we are here to help you stay healthy, only you can know when you’re ill. It’s up to you when you need to see a doctor.
The first step is to be educated about your health. That way, you’ll know when it’s time to call the doctor. Plus, the more informed you are, the better care your doctor can give you.
Be ready to ask good questions and take notes each time you visit a doctor to get the most out of your time with your doctor. To have a better understanding of your health, remember to ask your doctor some of these questions during your visits.
- Stop: What behaviors do I need to stop doing?
- Start: What things do I need to start doing to take better care of my health?
- Continue: What things do I need to continue to do?
Also consider asking your doctor the following:
- What else do I need to know about my health problem?
- What do I need to do to get better? What medicines Should I take? What foods should I eat/not eat?
- What other places can I go for help?
- Why is it important for me to follow these directions?
- What’s next? How do I prepare for next appointment?
You can also download the patient checklist to print out.